Friday, May 17, 2013

Author's Reflections - Comic #102








#102
 
Since Megatron and Unicron did all the talking in the previous strip, I wanted a dialogue between Unicron and Optimus. In Unicron’s first appearance in the 1986 G1 movie, he wanted to destroy the Autobot Matrix since it was the only that could destroy him. His over exaggerated line in panel two here is my way of replicating the way Orson Welles’ read the line for the old movie. Beyond that line I never did go into detail on why the Unicron in my strip wanted the Matrix, I think in the back of my mind I just assumed every Transformer fan has seen the ‘86 Movie and would understand what Unicron’s deal was. Unicron’s three-phase plan is taken straight from South Park’s Underpants Gnomes episode, which I openly admit I ‘stole’ in the strip. I have to say I was pretty happy with the way my little freehand doodles turned out in the three-phase plan word bubble! It was a last minute decision to throw them in there and I’m glad I did. It added a little something extra visually to the panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment