Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Author's Reflections- Comics #60 & 61

#60





#61











This was really the first time I made a big deal out of using two characters with the same name. As I got back into collecting I found myself having a strong distaste for toys that used the same name as a character that came before it. I understand that to keep the copyright on the names, Hasbro has to use them often but that doesn’t mean I have to think of them as having the same name. Growing up, every interest I had found me creating new characters and coming up with a back story for them. Ninja Turtles, Street Fighter Video Games, X-Men, Spider-Man…I just enjoyed thinking up new fiction for chartacters. So although I didn’t “play” with my toys in the literal sense I did have a fun time thinking up new names and fiction. It comes out strong in the comic strip, especially in later editions when more and more characters show up. My first instinct when renaming RiD Scourge was to use ‘Nemesis Prime’, the name that has become standard for Optimus Prime toys painted in black as a Decepticon. But I figured I’d give him a fairly funny name. I know I’ve heard Deathkill or something similar to it somewhere else but for the life of me I can’t think of where it was or what show it was on.



No comments:

Post a Comment