Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Author's Reflections- Comic #59










#59

I never was happy with Megatron’s line in the first panel here. I remember I had thought up the joke when I was on my way home from work, and the TV show I thought would be funny escaped me when I finally wrote the script (and it STILL escapes me today). I decided that the Decepticon numbers were way too small and featured primarily leader-type characters so I thought I’d broaden the ranks a bit. Robots in Disguise Scourge is one of my all time favorite Transformer toys in my collection so I decided to throw him in the mix. At first I thought I wanted to point out that he and “Dewey” (the Megatron from that series) knew each other but never talked because they really didn’t like each other, but it fell to the wayside. Instead I went with the flipside to the standard ‘bad guy who is an evil version of a good guy’ route and make him a bad guy who’s actually nice. I came out strong with that plot, but it got pushed aside as I introduced other characters and situations. Every now and then I came out with a joke that showed his nice side but it was only recently that I really came out and had the characters in the strip comment on his niceness. Since I already had G1 Scourge in the strip I wanted to use a joke that had to do with the characters having the same name. More on that subject in the next commentary. Hot Shot’s Minicon Jolt really does have an unfortunate placement on the toy…

1 comment: