Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Author's Reflections- Comic #58









#58

At this point I decided to start featuring the neglected Decepticon side of the picture. This strip is the first appearance of Scourge, Skywarp and Ramjet. I borrowed another longstanding joke and argument from Transformers fans here. In the original 1986 cartoon movie, when Unicron upgraded the injured Decepticons into new forms it was never shown for certain which old character was turned into which new one thanks to everyong being given a silver coloring during the reformat period. Although it was shown that Skywarp, Thundercracker and Bombshell (an insecticon) were turned into Cyclonus, Scourge and the ‘Sweeps’, later on during Starscream’s coronation scene both Skywarp and Thundercracker are seen standing among the other Decepticons, and in the Saturday morning cartoon series after the movie all three Insecticons are seen alive and well. I think Scourge and Skywarp arguing about their identity worked out pretty well, and of course I had to throw in the ever present mass changing conundrum of Astrotrain being able to fit all the Decepticons inside of him in the cartoon movie. The peanut gallery is one of my favorites of the series. It may be construed as negative but it was my roundabout way of seeing every Transformers series as equal, plot holes and stupidity included. I can’t bring myself to take things TOO seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment