Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Author's Reflections- Comics #259-260

 
#259
 





 
#260













#259-260
 
The first Decepticon released in the next Classics (Universe) was the triple changer Octane. It had the honor of being the first of the new upgraded characters using the “normal” aesthetic (rather than the Animated one). Rather than use the “just offscreen” copout for Octance like I did for Thundercracker, Thrust, Dirge and Dreadwind I thought I’d have some fun and have him randomly come to Knockora-Offina in a Terminator-inspired sphere. I didn’t even attempt to give any reasoning for it, nor was it mentioned ever again…and I love that. In the G1 cartoon Octane was only in a small handful of episodes but I really liked his characterization…he was a lying, cheating, power-hungry Decepticon for sure but he also had a likable, clumsy personality that was endearing. I don’t know why but the way he talked in those episodes reminded me of someone trying way to hard to be cool to fit in. For some reason I immediately started writing him as a poor man’s “Fonz” from the TV show Happy Days. I rarely featured him much but I loved writing for him and these initial strips with him in it are some of my favorites.
 
#260 was one of those comics that worked out so well from the concept to the writing to the photography stage. I not only loved Grimlock’s dialogue and poorly written ‘Roborotica’ on the machine, but also his poses throughout the entire comic…waiting for Octane with his head down and tail up, his wide open jaw when the upgraded Octane walked out of the machine and his desperation in the last panel ended up so great.

No comments:

Post a Comment