Monday, May 5, 2014

Author's Reflections- Comic #172










#172
 
As I’ve said before, I really try to avoid using entire conversations taken directly from a TV show or movie, but when I realized what I had done by putting Ramjet and Hot Rod together as a team I realized I HAD to pay tribute to one of my favorite movies of all time: Super Troopers. I cut it short and threw in my own joke at the end, but all credit still goes to the Broken Lizard comedy troop for that exchange as well as all the quotes in the commentary panel which are taken directly from the movie as well.
 
One small thing to mention, I had toyed with the idea of trying to draw in different hand gestures for the characters, which I experimented with for Hot Rod in Panel 2. The open hand worked out alright, even only being able to see two fingers, but that also make me realize it would really only work the best with characters who had black hands. It took me long enough to doodle that one out, I couldn’t imagine trying to take any other color and try to make it look like a cohesive part of the picture, so I immediately scrapped the idea with no regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment