Friday, May 30, 2014

Author's Reflections- Comic #226











#226
 
This comic introduces one of the most notorious characters…Bugbite. It was another toy included in the 2007 Botcon box set and while I was waiting for the set to arrive I went back and forth several times on whether or not to even include Bugbite in the comic. After I got the package and admired the toys for awhile, I read the comic book that is packed in with the Botcon sets. I wasn’t all that impressed with Bugbite’s portrayal, being little more than a throwaway character from an alternate universe (even if it was a fairly big nod to rival transforming toyline Gobots). Now of course its not like I haven’t pulled the alternate universe card MANY times over the years in this comic but in an official ‘serious’ publication I guess I expected more. I was determined to come up with a better back story for him, so I came up with the idea of giving him schizophrenia…the appearance and niceness of Bumblebee coupled with a large dose of Megatron’s unpleasant demeanor. To achieve this, I gave a small nod to Scourge’s creation in the Robot’s in Disguise cartoon in which he scanned both Optimus Prime and a tanker truck. Having the neutral Protoform scan both Bumblebee and Megatron made it extremely easy to explain.
 
The first thing that comes to mind when I look at the pictures for this comic is how pleased I was about the ‘scanning’ panels turning out the way they did. I turned out all the lights and pointed a bright LED flashlight at the Protoform. I didn’t know if the picture would have ended up blurry or not but when I downloaded the pictures I definitely breathed a sigh of relief.
 
What’s on the computer is hard to make out in the Peanut Gallery panel, it’s a screen shot of the Beast Wars episode ‘The Spark’ which introduced Airazor. Hot Shot, Hound and Cliffjumper are still doing research on what exactly a ‘Protoform’ is (although to be fair, Hot Shot should already know since Protoforms were mentioned by name in the Armada cartoon, mental capacity notwithstanding).

No comments:

Post a Comment