Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Author's Reflections- Comic #319









#319
 
With two comics left for the week and three upgraded characters I knew I’d have to introduce one of them on their own and the other two together. My first choice for the individual introduction was Ironhide since he was a major player in the G1 cartoon and because he was one of my favorites growing up but I didn’t find much inspiration to fill an entire comic introducing him at the time. Bluestreak didn’t have much personality beyond incessantly talking and I knew that would only go so far as well, so my default the first upgrade was given to Sideswipe. I remember I still had some difficulty coming up with a solid comic until I focused on Sideswipe and Sunstreaker being brothers and things blossomed from there.
 
I’m an only child so I don’t have any experience fighting with a sibling but I just went with the most shallow media-inspired avenue of trading horrible insults. I think it ended up as a great back-and-forth between the two of them and it was something that I revisited in the comic more than once.
 
Again the peanut gallery played devil’s advocate in a longtime argument in the Transformers’ fan-base of whether or not Transformers should have siblings (since Sideswipe and Sunstreaker have been labeled as “twins”). Like robotic genders, I say if robots can be sentient aliens that can turn into earth vehicles why wouldn’t they have familial archetypes?

No comments:

Post a Comment